Vedahs – (Indian Savoury treat)
Makes 18 vedahs
List of ingredients required
1 cup pea dhall
1 cup water
1 cup coriander, finely chopped
½ cup spring onion, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon roasted jeera seeds
1-2 teaspoons fine salt
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped (optional)
Oil for frying
Preparation before making the Vedah
1. Soak dhall and water in a deep dish, cover and leave overnight. This helps the dhall swell up and makes it easier when grinding.
2. Strain the dhall in a colander, to ensure all the water is removed. If it still looks a wet, pat dry with a paper towel.
3. Next, you will need to grind the dhall in a food processor to a finely ground consistency.
How to Make the Vedah
1. Empty the finely ground dhall in a shallow 30cm dish. Add the baking powder & jeera seeds.
2. Next, add all the greens, finely chopped onions & salt.
3. Mix together till you have a soft dough like texture.
4. Before you start shaping the vedahs, heat the oil in a heavy deep based pan over moderate heat.
5. Next keep a bowl of water aside and cut up squares of wax paper. You will use this to assist you in shaping the Vedahs.
6. Wet your hands in the bowl of water, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place on the wax paper and flatten with your fingers, make a small hole in the middle of the dough before frying. This allows the vedah to cook through.
7. Deep fry on one side for 5mins, before turning. Keep turning until they are a lovely golden brown.
8. Place them on paper towels for the excess oil to drain. Best served hot.